The school opened in 1942 on land acquired by its founder Mr. M.G.Fleming. It was run as an Anglican Diocesan preparatory school for boys under the ownership of Ruzawi Schools Ltd., who bought it from Mr. Fleming, and operated successfully for many years.
A sudden decline in enrollment, due mainly to the withdrawal of large numbers of Zambian pupils, brought about the closure of the school in 1975.
In 1978 all movable property was auctioned and the buildings remained empty for partial occupation by pupils and staff of Cyrene Mission during the civil war years.
In 1981 the Whitestone School Trust was founded and the school was purchased from Ruzawi Schools Ltd. It was re-opened in September 1982 as a mixed boys’ and girls’ school catering for day pupils from Grades 1 to 7.